Thursday, July 9, 2015

Ipad Struggle

When ipads and smart phones became a big deal, I decided I would not be one of those parents who let their child play on them for more than fifteen minutes at home and in public! Well my opinion has changed and I think differently about those time restrictions. 
Photo Source
Baby B will play on the iPad ALL day if we let him. He'll have meltdowns at home, the pool or during church if he can't play with a phone or iPad. Of course, he isn't allowed to play it when this happens. 

We now have certain times when he is allowed to play: first thing in the morning, while I get ready for the day, and while I make dinner. I don't have to set a timer (at this point) because I can gauge when he has been on it enough. I'm sure this will change in the near future. I do occasionally let him play my phone while we are waiting at the doctor or if I need to him to sit still for a few minutes.

It's so crazy how much of an impact these electronics have in our life and now our eighteen month old's life. I never thought a one year old could be so into a touch screen. I do think it's fine for kids to play on electronic devices for limited amounts of time every day-Moderation in all things! 

Now it's your turn!
Are your children this enthralled with ipads or phones? What rules do you have? 


Follow on 


7 comments:

  1. I think having certain set times is such a great idea - I always think how crazy it is how much technology kids these days have available to them compared to when I was younger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our boys are all teenagers. However we have restrictions on things like no phones at the dinner table no phones or iPads after 9 o'clock. I'm not sure if it's easier now with these devices to help build learning techniques and technology smarts or if it was better when I was little or my sons were little and there wasn't as much Technology, I'm not sure. Lol. I say do what works best for your family and baby B and he will probably be a lot further ahead of kids that don't get time on the devices. ;-)

    livingoncloudandreanine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are great rules! I kind of feel like the technology does help kids become smarter but hinders them socially.

      Delete
  3. I think of my sister's kids and I think it's great for them to do the learning apps and things like that - it's when kids are on them at dinner while the parents are on their phones too I get outraged!! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have kids, but it's crazy how into electronics they are at such a young age!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have kids yet so I can't really say for myself! i do nanny though and the kids I nanny aren't really even interested in ipad or iphone games! Sometimes I do let them play on mine and the do LOVE it haha I don't really know what my rules will be when I have my own kids because who knows!!
    xo, Candace | Lovely Little Rants

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we all have been guilty of saying things like, "ill never let my child sit at a restaurant with an iPad." That is until we have our own!!! I have a 2 year old and I know exactly how you feel on wanting to limit TV/ipad time. I think you are doing a great job by having set times as to when it's acceptable! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete