Monday, January 8, 2018

My journey to a healthier, happier me!

 
Cardigan Sweater c/o Modest Modern Mama
Top - Similar
Jeans - Kohl's
Cardigan Sweater c/o Modest Modern Mama
Top - Similar
Jeans - Kohl's

There has been a lot going on in my life that I haven't really talked about on the blog. I want this space to be happy and lighthearted, but in reality that's not how life always is.

I have always considered myself a worrier. For example in elementary school I would get homework on a Monday and it wouldn't be due until Friday but I would have to get it done that night or else it was the end of the world. 

That was just the start of it and since having my kids it has gotten worse with each one. I was becoming such a mean mom- I was irritated with my kids all the time for the littlest things like B asking me a simple question. I also hated driving when I used to enjoy it. I didn't want to do things or go places in fear of something bad happening, and I would get anxiety over getting anxious. It's a vicious cycle! I began to think what I was dealing with was something that couldn't get fixed and I tried to deal with it the best I could with a positive attitude and exercise.

We moved to Boston, my husband started his residency and I knew I was in over my head. I needed to get my life back on track if I was going to be able to take care of my kids by myself with my husband working so many hours. 

I was terrified to go to the doctor, partially because I didn't know if I wanted to admit that I had something wrong with me especially with it being all mental. On the day of my appointment I had barely gotten back to the exam room and I was already crying. I thought for sure they thought I was crazy! Thankfully I saw an amazing doctor who listened to my situation and reassured me that major life changes such as moving, having a baby, starting new jobs, etc. can all bring on anxiety. She put me on some medication and it was a little hard adjusting to it at first but it has changed my life! I've been seeing a therapist to get tools on how to cope with my anxiety and I try to exercise regularly.

I still have bad days but I am able to think clearer and not worry so much. I am so much happier and I never thought I'd say this but I LOVE living in Boston!

I'm not saying that everyone should get on anxiety medicine or see a therapist, but it was something I needed to do to become a happier and healthier wife, mom, and person in general.

Feel free to reach out to me with any questions or if you can relate with me. Life can be so tough but when we have the support of one another it makes the biggest difference!

Love you guys!

This post is a collaboration with White Mountain Shoes and Modest Modern Mama. All thoughts and opinions are my own!

No comments:

Post a Comment