Saturday, June 23, 2018

First Year of Residency


I wrote the following post a year ago....

Brenen officially starts residency on Saturday and so I thought I would write down what I think it will be like and then compare it with what it's really like a year from now!

It will definitely be hard and I will probably feel like a single parent most days. We probably won't eat many meals together and there will be Sundays I have to go to church by myself with the boys. I need to stay positive and supportive of Brenen, especially on the days where he says he'll be home at a certain time and two hours later he's walking through the door exhausted. I need to be a good mom for the boys and get out and take them places- (playgrounds, walks, beach, play dates).

Writing all of this is making me really sad and almost bringing me to tears, but it will all be worth it in four years. We just have to always say our prayers, read scriptures, and go to the temple.

WE CAN DO THIS!

 The first year of residency was SO.HARD, but we got through it! Everything that I thought would be hard was and so much more. It's so crazy to think that we've been in Boston one year! I have grown so much and surprised myself in so many ways. I know a huge part of that has been from taking care of myself (exercising) and getting my anxiety under control (medicine and therapy).

Brenen is so, so, SO glad to never have to repeat this year! He's gone through a lot, with people being rude and jerks to him, working long hours (120 hour/weeks), loosing 15 pounds his first month, not knowing when he'll eat that day, bike seats being stolen, giving a stranger a ride at 2:00am, assisting countless surgeries, me reading test questions to him on the phone as he drives to the hospital and barely finishing it with 20 minutes to spare, and becoming a pro at stitching up facial wounds.

1 year down, 3 more to go!!

No comments:

Post a Comment